The STEM Center at The University of Texas at Austin is excited to announce that our first week long WeTeach_CyberSecurity GenCyber Summer Camp for high school teachers will be held at the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) in Austin from June 11-15, 2018. The camp will provide an opportunity for teachers to deepen their understanding of the field of cybersecurity, its importance in this day and age, and how it represents a great opportunity for kids interested in high tech careers. Teachers who attend will receive training in a number of areas related to cybersecurity that they can take back to the classroom.
Participants will learn:
- How to define cybersecurity and its importance for their students
- About digital footprints and cyber hygiene
- Network and computer architecture foundations
- Fundamentals of identity and access management
- Systems monitoring techniques
The program is open to current Texas high school teachers who are interested in deepening their understanding of cybersecurity related topics and teaching those topics in the classroom. Training is provided at no cost to accepted participants, travel and lodging expenses will be reimbursed by the UT STEM Center, and participants who complete the training will receive a $500 stipend. No prior knowledge of cybersecurity is required, but participants must be willing to take on a relatively complex topic, digging below their Mac or Windows GUI to understand what goes on behind the curtain.
- Application Deadline – 5 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 1, 2018
- Notification of acceptance – Accepted applicants will be notified the week of May 8, 2018
- Camp dates – June 11-15, 2018 (Monday-Friday)
Prospective camp participants need to submit an online application before 5 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
Before applying, please note the following:
- Space is limited to 23 participants.
- Participants must bring their own laptop.
- Participants will be asked to submit a fully refundable $50 deposit prior to arriving for the camp to secure their spot in the program.
Come join us and help us build a safer Cyber World! Apply Today!
GenCyber is funded by the National Security Agency (NSA) and National Science Foundation (NSF).