Interested in adding the Beauty and Joy of Computing to your 2017/2018 course catalog? BJC is a College Board endorsed curriculum for the new AP Computer Science Principles exam and have recently announced two professional development opportunities endorsed by the College Board for teachers this Summer 2017.
BJC PD Palooza
First, thanks to the generosity of the InfoSys Foundation, BJC will be having a BJC PD Palooza at the University of California, Berkeley, July 17-21, 2017. This event will not offer a stipend option however all expenses (travel, food, and lodging) will be covered. All high school teachers with commitments from their principals to offer this course next year (2017/2018) are welcome to apply, but they will be prioritized based on how many of the following are true: (1) you have never taught computer science (2) your school is a Title 1 (or has a high percentage of free/reduced lunch), and (3) your school is located in a rural area. Please apply here for the BJC PD Palooza.
Regional BJC Summer PD
Second, BJC is offering regional BJC Summer PD at potentially NO cost to public school teachers (with a possible stipend) through DonorsChoose.org funded by the InfoSys Foundation’s matching program. You may also be eligible to receive BJC funds to cover your travel.
To apply for regional BJC Summer PD
- Apply on DonorsChoose to take advantage of the matching opportunity
- Fill out the BJC Teacher Application.
If you are an international or private school teacher, or your school/district prefers to pay directly (no DonorsChoose), please only fill out the BJC Teacher Application.
Regional BJC Summer PD Locations
- July 17-21 BJC PD Palooza in Berkeley, California (UC Berkeley)
- June 26-30 in Charleston, South Carolina (The Citadel)
- July 10-14 in Claremont, California (Harvey Mudd College)
- July 10-14 in Lexington, Kentucky (Northern Kentucky University)
- July 24-28 in Denver, Colorado (Colorado School of Mines)
- July 24-28 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Temple University)
- July 24-28 in Torrance, California (LA area)
- July 24-28 in Fairfax, Virginia (George Mason University)
- July 31-Aug 5 in Union, New Jersey (NYC area)
- Aug 7-11 in Loudonville, New York (Albany area)
Questions: Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Beauty and Joy of Computing curriculum, co-developed by University of California, Berkeley & Education Development Center, Inc, is being field-tested in New York City public schools in partnership with the NYCDOE and CSNYC with funding from the National Science Foundation. NC State University is scaling BJC PD nationally.