What can Counselors and Administrators do to increase student access to Computer Science classes and career pathways?
Counselors are influencers and gatekeepers. They counsel and encourage students in their education and career aspirations, advise on course selections, and expose students to occupations through career fairs and internships. If today’s students are to get the exposure and encouragement they need to pursue computing, it is essential that counselors have the knowledge and resources they need to guide effectively.
Computer Science Training for Counselors & Administrators participants will learn about the national and local technology landscape, who is (and is not) involved in this fast-growing employment sector, and why diverse participation matters. This session will help school teams appreciate what computer science is, what new courses involve, and how these count toward graduation and fit with the larger school program.
- When – Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:30AM – 3:00PM (Lunch will be served)
- Where – Doubletree by Hilton Austin University – Austin, TX
- Cost – Free
- CPE Credit – 3 Hours of CPE credit are available for this event
- Agenda – Download Agenda (PDF)
- 11:30AM – Lunch
- 12:00PM – Welcome/Introductions
- 12:10PM – Computer Science Education: Why it Matters – Texas Specific Information
- 12:50PM – Overview of Code.org and WeTeach_CS Programs
- 1:30PM – Lesson Experience
- 2:00PM – Break
- 2:10PM – Equity & Student Recruitment
- 3:00PM – Door Prize! and Adjourn