Integrating Computational Thinking into Core Academics
Many people believe computational thinking (CT) is just for computer science, however, CT is actually a thinking process that can be implemented across K-12. And as one of the top skills requested by employers, it really should be integrated into all subjects in order to prepare students for future careers. This is not as difficult as it may sound, because CT processes can be used with existing content. During this session, participants will discover what computational thinking is, how to integrate it, and the value of adding it to their daily instruction to improve student engagement. They will also become familiar with the decomposition, pattern, abstraction, algorithm model of CT and how to apply it to subjects across K-12. Participants will leave knowing that computational thinking is not just for the GT and how all student sub-populations can benefit from its integration into core academics.
Presented by – Brenda Foster and Michele McCurdy, ESC 16
Grade level – K-12
About WeTeach_CS Deep Dives 2018
When a breakout session is not enough, but you don’t have time for a multi-day workshop—take a Deep Dive!
WeTeach_CS Deep Dives is a special 1.5-day event which picks up right where the 2018 WeTeach_CS Summit (June 18-20) leaves off. So, if the three days of the WeTeach_CS Summit just doesn’t sound like enough CS professional development goodness for your tastes, then consider sticking around and taking part in WeTeach_CS Deep Dives! But you don’t have to attend the WeTeach_CS Summit in order to attend a Deep Dives course. Maybe you only have time to take a quick dip into one of the featured subjects. No problem–that’s what Deep Dives are for. More information
WeTeach_CS Deep Dives Registration Details
- When – June 21-22, 2018 (Thursday – Friday)
- Where – Sheraton Austin Georgetown Hotel & Conference Center, Georgetown, TX (35mi north of Austin)
- Cost – $200 per participant
- Registration Deadline – June 12, 2018
- Accommodations and Travel Reimbursement – Attendees may be eligible for reimbursement of travel and accommodations expenses. See registration page for details.
- Hotel Room Block and Group Rate – A room block is available and a group rate is available until May 17, 2018. Subject to availability. See registration page for details.