Join Computer Science Fundamentals veteran Facilitators, Kimberly Lane Clark and Shaina Glass as they take you deeper into the fundamentals of computer science that you can apply to any classroom, school and district!
Are you looking to develop curriculum or content specific activities for computer science within your K-5 school or classroom? Have you or your students explored Code.org’s Hour of Code, played with scratch, or have you attended a one day coding workshop and are wondering, “what’s next?” If so, then you’re ready to take a dive deeper into the new Code.org Curriculum, with an emphasis on integrating computational thinking and unplugged activities into your classroom.
This strand will include:
- Working on unplugged activities which align with your classroom curriculum and ISTE’s CS standards,
- Discussions of computational thinking and the relationship between computer science, engineering, and math practices in primary grades (K-5)
- Creation of blueprints for implementing computer science in your classroom, school, or school district,
- Developing strategies on how to create an inclusive environment for all students in equity and diversity. #CSforAll.
Unplugged activités by content area
|Content/Focus Area||Unplugged Activities|
|Math (Math Practices)||Binary Bracelets|
|ELA||Real Life Algorithms- Paper Airplanes|
|DIgital Citizenship||Common Sense Education: Your Digital Footprint|
During this strand, teachers will:
- Leave with a blueprint designed with their specifics needs
- Locate activities that aligned with their content area or focus
- Develop your WHY
- Develop a deeper understanding on why it important to infuse computer science in and access for ALL
About WeTeach_CS Deep Dives 2018 – June 21-22
When a breakout session is not enough, but you don’t have time for a multi-day workshop—take a Deep Dive!
WeTeach_CS Deep Dives is a special 1.5-day event which picks up right where the 2018 WeTeach_CS Summit (June 18-20) leaves off. So, if the three days of the WeTeach_CS Summit just doesn’t sound like enough CS professional development goodness for your tastes, then consider sticking around and taking part in WeTeach_CS Deep Dives! But you don’t have to attend the WeTeach_CS Summit in order to attend a Deep Dives course. Maybe you only have time to take a quick dip into one of the featured subjects. No problem–that’s what Deep Dives are for. Learn more about the WeTeach_CS Deep Dives.
Registration Note: When you register for the WeTeach_CS Deep Dives, you will select the strand you wish to attend. Keep in mind that each strand has a limited number of seats, so be sure to register soon and maybe have a backup session in mind.
WeTeach_CS Deep Dives Registration Details
- When – June 21-22, 2018 (Thursday – Friday)
- Where – Sheraton Austin Georgetown Hotel & Conference Center, Georgetown, TX (35mi north of Austin)
- Cost – $200 per participant
- Registration Deadline – June 12, 2018
- Accommodations and Travel Reimbursement – Attendees may be eligible for reimbursement of travel and accommodations expenses. See registration page for details.
- Hotel Room Block and Group Rate – A room block is available and a group rate is available until May 17, 2018. Subject to availability. See registration page for details.