June 12 – 14, 2017
Monday – Wednesday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Spring Branch ISD Technology Training Center – 14330 Memorial Drive, Houston, TX, 77079
Teach Your Students to Program, Mathematically
Bootstrap teaches students to program their own video games in an algebraic programming language, exposing them to key math concepts. Middle- and high-school teachers around the country have implemented the curriculum as a one-month module, a weekly activity or an after school program.
In Bootstrap, Your Students Will Practice and Apply
- Solving word problems
- Coordinate planes and Graphing
- Functions and Variables
- Function Composition
- Inequalities in the Plane
- The Pythagorean Theorem
In this Workshop, You Will
- Participate in a real classroom demonstration of the curriculum
- Build your own video game, using the math you already know
- Learn how TEKS Math Standards can be met through a STEM-focused programming curriculum
- Explore cutting-edge research on algebra education
What to Bring
- A laptop with internet capability
- Power cord for the laptop
- Mouse if desired
Download the agenda here!
- Type – Face-to-Face
- Dates and Times – Monday, June 12, 2017 – Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Registration Deadline – June 5, 2017
- Location – Spring Branch ISD Technology Training Center, 14330 Memorial Drive, Houston, TX, 77079, 713-251-2329 (Map / Directions)
- Eligible Attendees – Texas teachers of mathematics in grades 6- 8, Algebra I teachers, and both middle and high school technology applications/computer science teachers are eligible to attend.
- Cost – $60 per day, $180 total
- Certificates of Participation – Certificates stating 18 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
Accommodations and Transportation
All participants are responsible for their own transportation and lodging arrangements and payments. These costs will be reimbursed by the Center for STEM Education at The University of Texas at Austin to non-WeTeach_CS Collaborative participants who attend the entire event. Lodging costs will be reimbursed at the state rate for those who live more than 60 miles from the event. Mileage will be reimbursed*, also at the state rate, as calculated by MapQuest using the shortest route option. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event.
*If you owe money to any State of Texas organization or entity, whatever amount you were to receive may be credited toward your debt.
A copy of the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exempt form is provided and should be printed and turned in to your hotel upon arrival. State hotel tax will not be reimbursed.
Parking is free and abundant at the Spring Branch ISD Technology Training Center.
Application / Registration
- $60.00 per day for each participant.
- $180.00 total per participant for this 3-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 50 participants.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check.
- The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to The University of Texas at Austin. Please mail checks to the attention of Jeff Early, along with the printed registration confirmation email, to the following address:
- Center for STEM Education
1912 Speedway, D5500
Austin, TX 78712
Attn: Jeff Early
- Center for STEM Education
- Payment Questions? Please email Jeff Early with any payment questions you may have.
Online Registration Instructions
- Click the registration button below to register your attendance.
- You must complete all required fields.
- You will be asked for your contact information, what subjects you are currently teaching.
- If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people.
- If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carolina Cardenas, email@example.com