April 24-28, 2017
Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
UT Dallas – 800 West Campbell Rd, Richardson, Tx, 75080
The training will span 5 days with a computational thinking introduction and block-based programming that scaffolds to a more complex text-based programming language (Python). It will culminate with a final projects done by participants.
The WeTeach_CS facilitators academy at UT Dallas will give you the tools to run a one to two week summer institute with your WeTeach_CS collaborative. The theme of the Facilitators Academy is “Computational Thinking” and contains explorations of computational thinking across the curriculum throughout the week. Our program is designed in Scratch and Python, but the computer science and computational thinking activities and concepts can be easily translated to other languages if you would like to use something else with your Collaborative.
At the facilitators academy, you will participate in all the activities of the summer institute, with added consideration on how to replicate the program for your teachers. You will receive a facilitator’s guide in addition to digital participant packs. The facilitator’s guide leads you through how to prepare for and execute each activity, along with an overview of the subject matter. The participant packs contain extension lesson plans for each activity suitable for a K-12 classroom, concept information, and completed python programs as well as accompanying skeleton templates.
We will demonstrate a variety of technologies that the institute can incorporate, depending on what you have available. All the provided activities can either be done offline on traditional computers running Windows, macOS, or Linux; or online on Chromebooks using the free online services trinket.io or repl.it. You’ll be given instructions on how to get everyone up and running in a BYOD situation. In addition, we have incorporated a variety of “unplugged” activities to learn computational thinking and computer science without the use of computers at all!
- Type – Face-to-face
- Dates and Times – Monday – Friday, April 24-28, 2017
- Application and Registration Deadline – April 17th, 2017
- Location – Monday- Thursday: The University of Texas at Dallas, 800 West Campbell Rd, School of Management, ExecEd II Lounge Suite Room 11.305, Richardson, Tx, 75080.
- Friday: Building and room number TBA
- Eligible Attendees – Project Directors and/or Instructional Team Members that will provide a Computer Science Institute.
- Cost and Reimbursement – Registration cost is $300.00 total per participant for this 5-day workshop. ($60.00 per day for each participant.)
- Certificates of Participation – Certificates stating 30 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
Accommodations and Transportation
All participants are responsible for their own transportation and lodging arrangements and payments. These costs will be reimbursed by the Center for STEM Education at The University of Texas at Austin to non-WeTeach_CS Collaborative participants who attend the entire event. Lodging costs will be reimbursed at the state rate for those who live more than 60 miles from the event. Mileage will be reimbursed*, also at the state rate, as calculated by MapQuest using the shortest route option. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event.
*If you owe money to any State of Texas organization or entity, whatever amount you were to receive may be credited toward your debt.
A copy of the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exempt form is provided and should be printed and turned in to your hotel upon arrival. State hotel tax will not be reimbursed.
Parking details and passes will be provided prior to the event.
Application / Registration
- $60.00 per day for each participant.
- $300.00 total per participant for this 5-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 40 participants.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check.
- The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to The University of Texas at Austin. Please mail checks to the attention of Jeff Early, along with the printed registration confirmation email, to the following address:
- Center for STEM Education
1912 Speedway, D5500
Austin, TX 78712
Attn: Jeff Early
- Center for STEM Education
- Payment Questions? Please email Jeff Early with any payment questions you may have.
Online Registration Instructions
- Click the registration button below to register your attendance.
- You must complete all required fields.
- You will be asked for your contact information, what subjects you are currently teaching.
- If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people.
- If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to email@example.com.
Carolina Cardenas, firstname.lastname@example.org