May 6, 2017
Saturday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
UT Dallas – 800 West Campbell Rd, Richardson, Tx, 75080
Join instructor, John Owen, for a one-day face-to-face review session of Java Fundamentals prior to participating in the online Java Programming. There will be time set aside during the workshop for a question and answer session.
Updated, April 12, 2017 – Calling All Java Teachers!
Due to popular demand, we’ve expanded this event to cover general Java review for any teacher with previous Java experience who would like to take part in a refresher session or get questions answered.
Provide face-to-face training in Java programming to continue the learning started with the Java Fundamentals course conducted this past March and April.
Topics to include
- Review of Object Oriented programming concepts
- Further training in use of IDEs, including JCreator, Eclipse, Jeliot, JGrasp
- Review fundamentals of Java, including data types, operators, control structures (if, if else, loops, recursion), data structures (1D and 2D arrays, ArrayLists), and basic algorithms
- Explore the Codingbat.com website, further developing skills in method definitions and logic strategies
- Further explore working with data files to test programs
- Further develop OOP concepts to include inheritance and polymorphism techniques
- Provide hands-on practice with easy, medium, and challenging labs to help you and your students grow and refine program development skills
- Type – Face-to-Face
- Date and Time – Saturday, May 6, 2017
- Registration Deadline – May 3, 2017
- Location – Naveen Jindal School of Management, JSOM 2.117, The University of Texas at Dallas, 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson, TX, 75080
- Click here to download a map of UT Dallas buildings and parking
- Eligible Attendees
- Texas teachers that have successfully completed the Oracle Academy course, Java Fundamentals
- Texas teachers with any previous Java experience (whether through Oracle Academy or not) who’d like a refresher
- Cost – $60 for this 1 day workshop
- Certificates of Participation – Certificates stating 6 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
Accommodations and Transportation
All participants are responsible for their own transportation and lodging arrangements and payments. These costs will be reimbursed by the Center for STEM Education at The University of Texas at Austin to non-WeTeach_CS Collaborative participants who attend the entire event. Lodging costs will be reimbursed at the state rate for those who live more than 60 miles from the event. Mileage will be reimbursed*, also at the state rate, as calculated by MapQuest using the shortest route option. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event.
*If you owe money to any State of Texas organization or entity, whatever amount you were to receive may be credited toward your debt.
A copy of the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exempt form is provided and should be printed and turned in to your hotel upon arrival. State hotel tax will not be reimbursed.
Parking details and passes will be provided prior to the event.
Application / Registration
- $60.00 per day for each participant.
- $60.00 total per participant for this 1-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 40 participants.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check.
- The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to The University of Texas at Austin. Please mail checks to the attention of Jeff Early, along with the printed registration confirmation email, to the following address:
- Center for STEM Education
1912 Speedway, D5500
Austin, TX 78712
Attn: Jeff Early
- Center for STEM Education
- Payment Questions? Please email Jeff Early with any payment questions you may have.
Online Registration Instructions
- Click the registration button below to register your attendance.
- You must complete all required fields.
- You will be asked for your contact information, what subjects you are currently teaching.
- If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people.
- If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carolina Cardenas, email@example.com