July 24 – August 3, 2017
July 24- 28, 2017 – Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
July 31 – August 3, 2017 – 8-11am (class 1) and 1-4pm (class 2)
The WeTeach_CS Program housed in the Center for STEM Education at UT Austin, in partnership with Oracle Academy, is offering a series of courses for Texas teachers interested in teaching computer science. This series of professional development experiences will prepare participants to teach courses such as Computer Science I, Computer Science II, or AP Computer Science. Since the AP Computer Science course is based on the Java programming language, this will be the focus of the technical training component. The KCJO face-to-face training at The University of Texas at Austin July 24- 28, 2017 will focus on Java Fundamentals. Completers of Java Fundamentals will be eligible to participate in the online Java Programming Course from July 31 – August 3, 2017.
The Java Fundamentals F2F class will be Monday – Friday, July 24- 28, 2017, from 8am-4pm in Austin.
The online Java Programming class options will be Monday – Thursday, July 31 – August 3, from 8-11am (class 1) and 1-4pm (class 2)
- Type – Face-to-Face
- Critical Dates –
- Application opens: Wednesday, February 8, 2017
- Application closes: Wednesday, April 5, 2017
- Applicants notified by: Friday, April 14, 2017
- Oracle Academy registration and enrollment opens: Week of April 17, 2017
- Oracle Academy registration and enrollment closes: Friday, May 19, 2017
- WeTeach_CS registration opens: Monday, May 22, 2017
- WeTeach_CS registration closes: Wednesday, July 12, 2017
- Java Fundamentals F2F class start date: Monday, July 24, 2017
- Java Fundamentals F2F class end date: Friday, July 28, 2017
- Java Programming online class start date: Monday, July 31, 2017
- Java Programming online class end date: Thursday, August 3, 2017
- Location – Java Fundamentals – The University of Texas at Austin, SZB 324
Java Programming – Online
- Eligible Attendees – Texas Computer Science teachers and current Texas teachers that would like to be high school Computer Science teachers.
- Cost – $60 per day, $300 total
- Certificates of Participation – Certificates stating 44 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
Accommodations and Transportation
Applies to the Java Fundamentals portion of the training only
All participants are responsible for their own transportation and lodging arrangements and payments. These costs will be reimbursed by the Center for STEM Education at The University of Texas at Austin to non-WeTeach_CS Collaborative participants who attend the entire event. Lodging costs will be reimbursed at the state rate for those who live more than 60 miles from the event. Mileage will be reimbursed*, also at the state rate, as calculated by MapQuest using the shortest route option. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event.
*If you owe money to any State of Texas organization or entity, whatever amount you were to receive may be credited toward your debt.
A copy of the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exempt form is provided and should be printed and turned in to your hotel upon arrival. State hotel tax will not be reimbursed.
Parking details and passes will be provided prior to the event.
Application / Registration
- $60.00 per day for each participant.
- $300.00 total per participant the 5-day f2f workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 40 participants.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check.
- The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to The University of Texas at Austin. Please mail checks to the attention of Jeff Early, along with the printed registration confirmation email, to the following address:
- Center for STEM Education
1912 Speedway, D5500
Austin, TX 78712
Attn: Jeff Early
- Center for STEM Education
- Payment Questions? Please email Jeff Early with any payment questions you may have.
Online Registration Instructions
- The application, membership, and registration is a three-step process. You MUST complete ALL steps in the time allotted to participate this training.
- Application will be made via the TRC Participant Portal located at thetrc.org/dc. The application will close April 5, 2017. Notification to applicants of acceptance or waitlist will occur by April 14, 2017.
- Users that have not completed a profile on or after September 1, 2016:
- Go to thetrc.org/dc and click Sign Up.
- For the question, “What program are you a part of?”, select “WeTeach_CS Computer Science or EdX Online Course.”
- Click “Yes” on the question in the ‘Contact’ section: Are you completing this form because you are applying for the ‘Keep Calm and Java On’ event from July 24-28, 2017’?
- Once you complete your profile, you have applied to participate in the KCJO – Java Fundamentals Course.
- Users that have completed a profile on or after September 1, 2016:
- Go to thetrc.org/dc and click ”Log In”
- Fill in your email and password and click “Log In”. If you have forgotten your password, click “I Forgot My Password”.
- If you have already joined the WTCS Computer Science Collaborative, select this Project.
- If you have NOT joined the WTCS Computer Science Collaborative, click “Join a New Project”. For the question, “What program are you a part of?”, select “WeTeach_CS Computer Science or EdX Online Course.”
- Click “Yes” on the question in the ‘Contact’ section: Are you completing this form because you are applying for the ‘Keep Calm and Java On’ event from July 24-28, 2017?
- You can also update any information on your profile that is incorrect or dated. That’s it – you’ve applied to participate in the KCJO – Java Fundamentals Course.
- Applicants that are accepted will be sent instructions directly on creating an Institutional Membership with Oracle Academy. This process will be accessible from April 17 – May 19, 2017 for accepted applicants.
- Registration via the WeTeach_CS / Center for STEM Education will be open from May 22 – July 12, 2017 for accepted applicants that complete their Oracle Academy Institutional Membership and register for the course through Oracle Academy.
Carolina Cardenas, firstname.lastname@example.org