September 26 – November 17, 2016 – Java Fundamentals
November 28 – December 15 – Java Programming
Oracle Academy, in partnership with The Center for STEM Education, presents a face-to-face Java training course to teach participants the concepts and practice of coding in preparation for teaching courses such as CS I, CS II and AP CS. The course focus is on programming in Java, a modern non-block programming language often preferred for High School programming and AP courses. This course comes in two parts, Java Fundamentals (face-to-face, 1 week) and Java Programming (on-line and synchronous, 2 weeks).
- Type – online, synchronous
- Dates, Java Fundamentals – September 26 – November 17, 2016, Mondays and Wednesdays OR Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:30-7:30
- Dates, Java Programming – November 28 – December 15, 2016, Mondays and Wednesdays OR Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:30-7:30
- Application and Registration Deadline – Application Step A – July 15, 2016, Application Step B – August 17, 2016
- Eligible Attendees – Texas educators who want to learn to code and teachers who plan to teach High School Computer Science in the 2016-2017 school year.
- Cost and Reimbursement – The course is free. Since it is an online course, there are no travel costs or reimbursement.
- CPE Credit and Certificates – Students will earn 44 Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits), 32 hours for Java Fundamentals and 12 hours for Java Programming. The credits will be sent electronically from Oracle Academy after the participant has completed the online course evaluation, 2-3 weeks after the event.
Application and Registration
The application and registration process is a two-step process. You must complete both steps to register for the course.
Step A – Register with WeTeach_CS – Deadline July 15, 2016 – To register with WeTeach_CS, participants will need to create or update their profile in the Computer Science Collaboratives (CSC) database.
- New Users – If you don’t have a profile in the CSC database you will need to create one.
- Click this link. Complete the Sign Up information. Choose Submit.
- Complete the survey. IMPORTANT: In the Contact section, check the Yes radio button for the question “Are you applying for the ‘Keep Calm and Java On’ event from September 26th – November 17th?”
- Complete the rest of the survey. Choose submit. Your application is complete!
- Current Users – If you already have a profile with WeTeach_CS, you will need to verify your data is current.
- Click this link. Don’t complete the fields below the Sign Up heading. Instead, click the “I already have an account” link at the bottom.
- Enter your last name and email address. Choose logon.
- Verify the information in your profile. IMPORTANT: In the Contact section, check the Yes radio button for the question “Are you applying for the ‘Keep Calm and Java On’ event from September 26th – November 17th?”
- Verify the rest of the information. Choose submit. Your application is now complete!
Given space limitations, not all applications can be accepted. You will be notified by email if you are accepted or waitlisted by July 19, 2016.
Step B – Register with Oracle Academy, Deadline August 17, 2016 – If you have been accepted, you will receive instructions for creating an institutional membership with Oracle Academy. It is recommended that you register for both Part 1 and Part 2 of this course at the same time. Please complete this step by August 17, 2016.
This course is on-line and does not require travel.