ChickTech is a non-profit organization dedicated to obtaining more girls and women in technology-related careers through hands-on events.
Their High School Program kick-off event will host 100 high school girls from the Austin metro area in a completely free-to-participate event. Each participant will attend one technology-related workshop and leave with a take-home item from the workshop. After kick-off, girls are invited to 5 monthly workshops. This program includes food during events, transportation to and from events, and childcare if needed.
Participants are girls who:
- Have never participated in a computer science course, technology project, or camp before due to lack of interest and/or financial resources
- Have never participated in any technology programs before, but would benefit from exposure to hands-on activities, mentoring opportunities and career exposure
- Typically would not consider a tech career without extra encouragement
- Have an above-average aptitude for math or science, along with a creativity and willingness to learn new things
- Will be in 9th-12th grade as of November 2018
Please nominate up to 15 girls from your school or program (parents please contact your daughter’s teacher/counselor for a nomination) who fall under these qualifications, we’d like at least 50% of your nominations to be on lunch assistance or some sort of financial aid.
Nominations end 11:59PM Monday, October 1, 2018.
Letters for the nominated girls will be hand delivered to your school by October 31, 2018. They will notify you via email of the exact delivery date.
The Kickoff weekend will be December 8-9, 2018 at Texas School for the Deaf.