WeTeach_CS will once again offer the online version of its Certification Prep workshop, Foundations of Computer Science for Teachers, starting on May 8, 2017. This self-paced online course is designed to prepare teachers to take the TExES 141, 241, or any Praxis based CS certification exam. Course materials, all of which will be available when the course goes live, provide extensive detailed instruction, examples and practice on everything from introductory programming topics such as variables, functions, loops and logical expressions to more advanced topics such as data structures, recursion, and object oriented programming. While basic enrollment is free, participants wanting to receive 36 CPE credit hours from The University of Texas at Austin upon completing the course can upgrade their enrollment to a Verified Certificate. Upgraded participants will also have access to unit quizzes and the comprehensive final, which mimics the actual 100 question CS certification exam. For more information, including the course syllabus, please visit the Foundations of Computer Science for Teachers home page on edX.
How to Register
- To register visit the course information page on EdX
- Click the Enroll Now button
- Create a new EdX account, if you’re new to EdX, or just login if you already have and EdX account.
Work at your own pace or work for credit
- Enrollment in Foundations of Computer Science for Teachers is free! Everyone who enrolls in the course will receive full access to all course material when the course begins on May 8, 2017 at 7PM Central Time.
- Participants wanting to receive 36 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credit hours from The University of Texas at Austin upon completing the course can upgrade their enrollment to a Verified Certificate. Upgraded participants will also have access to unit quizzes and the comprehensive final, which mimics the actual 100 question CS certification exam.
- Registration Opens – Today!
- Course Begins – May 8, 2017
- Course Ends – June 30, 2017
Rather get prepared in person?
No problem, we’ve got you covered! WeTeach_CS also offers Certification Prep Face-to-Face, a 2 day workshop style prep class that provides an overview of the educator competencies required of all teachers to become certified in Grades 8-12 Computer Science. Course instructors will address several competencies in depth and link attendees to additional resources that will help to prepare them to challenge the CS certification test. Registration is now open for workshops across Texas. But you have to hurry, they’re filling up fast!
- May 1-2 – Victoria – Registration closes April 24th – Register Now!
- June 12-13 – Abilene – Registration Closes June 6th – Register Now!
- June 12-13 – Edinburg – Registration Closes June 5th – Register Now!
- July 11-12 – San Antonio – Registration Closes July 4th – Register Now!
- July 18-19 – Beaumont – Registration Closes July 13th – Register Now!
- August 7-8 – Richardson – Registration Closes July 31st – Register Now!
Would you like 1000 reasons to get CS certified in 2017?
Teachers planning to take the TExES CS 8-12 Certification Test during the May, June, or August testing windows may be eligible for for the Certification Incentive Program (CIP), which offers a $1000 stipend to accepted teachers who obtain their CS certification. For complete information about deadlines and requirements, please read and follow all steps of the CIP Checklist. Texas teachers must meet eligibility requirements and be accepted to the program prior to testing to qualify for the $1,000 stipend.