Planning to get CS certified this fall?
Let WeTeach_CS help you prepare!
The fall session of our online certification prep course, Foundations of Computer Science for Teachers, will open on September 8, 2017 on the Center for STEM Education’s new professional development portal, UTakeIt. Hundreds of teachers from around the country have already taken Foundations of Computer Science for Teachers, with many going on to achieve CS certification. Don’t wait to start your certification journey—Register today!
Prepare online with WeTeach_CS
Foundations of Computer Science for Teachers is a self-paced course designed to prepare teachers to take the TExES 241 Grades 8-12 Computer Science certification exam or any Praxis based CS certification exam. Course materials provide extensive detailed instruction, examples, and practice on everything from introductory programming topics such as variables, functions, loops, and logical expressions to more advanced topics such as data structures, recursion, and object-oriented programming. While Foundations of Computer Science for Teachers is designed as a 7-week course, the fall session will run through December 15th to make sure you have plenty of time to finish the course and review before taking the CS certification exam.
What You’ll Learn
- Week 1: Software Design and Programming basics
- Week 2: Programming Fundamentals
- Week 3: Loops and Recursion
- Week 4: Data Structures
- Week 5: More OOP, Algorithms, and Big O (Oh my!)
- Week 6: Technology Applications
- Week 7: Special Topics – Discrete Math, Digital Forensics, and Game and Mobile Application Development
Work at your own pace or work for credit
- Basic Enrollment – Basic enrollment allows you to simply work at your own pace by giving you access to all of the course materials.
- Upgraded Enrollment – Upgrade your enrollment ($199) to earn 40 CPE credit hours from The University of Texas at Austin, upon successfully completing the course, while giving yourself your best chance to pass the CS certification exam. Along with all course materials, upgraded enrollment includes weekly quizzes to track your progress as well as a comprehensive final, which mimics the actual 100 question CS 8-12 certification exam.
How to register
- Visit – https://utakeit.stemcenter.utexas.edu/foundations-of-computer-scienc/
- Choose your enrollment level – You may select basic enrollment or choose to upgrade your enrollment to unlock all course features.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete your registration!
- Once registered you will receive an email confirmation and the course will show up in your personal UTakeIt dashboard.
REGISTRATION NOTE – If you’re new to UTakeIt, you’ll need to create an account, which takes just a few minutes and makes use of UT’s EID login for security. Teachers who’ve previously been members of WeTeach_CS or TRC Collaboratives may already have one. If you don’t, no worries, you can quickly sign up here.
Rather get prepared in person?
No problem, we’ve got you covered! WeTeach_CS also offers Certification Prep Face-to-Face, a 2-day workshop style prep class that provides an overview of the educator competencies required of all teachers to become certified in Grades 8-12 Computer Science. Course instructors will address several competencies in depth and link attendees to additional resources that will help to prepare them to challenge the CS certification test. Registration is now open for our October 23-24 workshop in Houston and we will be announcing more workshops soon!.
Still thinking about getting CS certified in 2017?
WeTeach_CS wants to make that decision a whole lot easier!
Thanks to the support of the Texas Education Agency (TEA), WeTeach_CS has extended the Certification Incentive Program (CIP) through December of 2017! This means current Texas teachers planning to take the TExES CS 8-12 Certification Test during October or December testing windows may be eligible for for the Certification Incentive Program (CIP), which offers a $1000 stipend to accepted teachers who obtain their CS certification.
Remaining 2017 Testing Windows
- October 17 – 7
- December 6 – 9
For complete information about deadlines and requirements, please read and follow all steps of the CIP Checklist. Texas teachers must meet eligibility requirements and be accepted to the program prior to testing to qualify for the $1,000 stipend.
More Information on Certification and CIP
- For more information about Computer Science certification, visit the WeTeach_CS Get Certified page.
- For complete information about CIP requirements and deadlines, visit the CIP Checklist page.
- Read everything and still have CS certification questions? Email us at email@example.com for help.