What do you do when you’re a graduate student and a piece you need to play requires an instrument you don’t own, can’t find, and couldn’t afford anyway? You design and build it yourself! That’s exactly what Sean Riley of the The University of Texas at Austin’s Butler School of Music did and he’s going to share his story and his music with WeTeach_CS Summit attendees. To create this one of a kind instrument, Riley worked with mechanical engineer Daniel Goodwin and sculptor Rebecca Milton at UT’s on-campus maker space, The Foundry. This general session is not only a wonderful opportunity to see the practical application of 3D printing, but also highlights the intersection where creativity and technology meet, and the kinds of environments necessary to foster cross-discipline collaboration. This is the intersection and in these environments where many of today’s students will build their future careers.
More information about Sean Riley
UT News article – A Six-String Violin? Grad Student Applies 3-D Printing to Music
About the WeTeach_CS Summit – June 18-20
The WeTeach_CS Summit is a 3-day event which educates, empowers, and inspires K-12 CS teachers, advocates, administrators, professional development providers, university instructors, and policy-makers to advance the goal of CS for All in Texas and beyond. This year’s Summit will be held on the shores of the San Gabriel River at the Sheraton Austin Georgetown Hotel and Conference Center in Georgetown, TX, just outside of Austin. Approximately 450 CS champions will be in attendance. More information / Register Now!
WeTeach_CS Summit Registration Details
- When – June 18-20, 2018 (Monday – Wednesday)
- Where – Sheraton Austin Georgetown Hotel & Conference Center, Georgetown, TX (35mi north of Austin)
- Cost – $400 per participant
- Registration Deadline – June 11, 2018
- Accommodations and Travel Reimbursement – Attendees may be eligible for reimbursement of travel and accommodations expenses. See registration page for details.
- Hotel Room Block and Group Rate – A room block is available and a group rate is available until May 17, 2018. Subject to availability. See registration page for details.