If attending WeTeach_CS events has taught us anything here in the office, it’s that Texas has some amazing, dedicated, and creative CS teachers. Then there are those who really stand out as inspirations to their students and their fellow teachers. If you happen to know one of these MVPs of CS education, then let us know by nominating them for one of the 2017 WeTeachCS Change Maker Awards. Or perhaps you have an idea for a class project or after school activity that needs a little seed money to get started, then apply today for one of the 2017 WeTeachCS Mini-Grants.
This year, through the generosity of Oracle Academy and IBM, WeTeach_CS will be announcing four Change Maker Awards and four Mini Grants during the 2017 WeTeach_CS Summit being held in Austin on June 5-7.
All nominations and applications are due by April 28, 2017. See below for details.
2017 WeTeachCS Change Maker Awards
To nominate a Texas educator for the WeTeachCS Change Maker Awards, start by filingl out the online application. Sponsored by Oracle Academy and IBM, four awards of $750 each will be given in 2017. You may self-nominate. In addition to the application, two letters of recommendation are required and should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. These can be from colleagues, administrators, parents and/or students and should address the following questions:
- What about this teacher qualifies them as one of the best in the state of Texas for CS?
- How has this teacher impacted your campus through their CS courses?
- How has this teacher increased access to CS for students that aren’t usually represented in CS courses?
- What did you enjoy most about being in their class?
- What has this teacher done to advance and promote CS beyond the courses they teach?
Eligible participants must have taught one or more of the following courses during the 2016-2017 school year in a Texas public, charter, or private school.
- CS 1
- CS 2
- CS 3
- AP CS A
- CS Principles
- IB Computer Science
- Fundamentals of CS
- Computer Programming
- Advanced Computer Programming
- Video Game Design
- Mobile App Development
- Web Design
Nominations with letters of support are due by Friday, April 28, 2017.
Award recipients will be notified no later than May 17, 2017. The WeTeachCS Change Maker Awards will be presented at the WeTeachCS Summit on June 5-7, 2017.
2017 WeTeachCS Mini-Grants
To apply for one of four WeTeachCS Mini-Grants, please complete the online application. Mini-grants are sponsored by Oracle Academy and IBM. The mini-grants will support instructional resources and materials used for teaching and learning K-12 Computer Science. Potential projects include those conducted during after-school activities, summer camps, or in-school programs. Institutions of awardees will be provided up to $1,500 in advance of projects to support activities which must be completed by May 31, 2018.
- Clearly defined objectives and outcomes
- Well-defined activities specifically related to the project goals
- Attention to equity – how the project will serve groups traditionally underserved in CS education
- An innovative approach to teaching and learning CS subjects
- A realistic evaluation demonstrating quantifiable results
- If technology is requested, identification of its integration into CS in unique and innovative ways must be clear
- Itemized, reasonable budget and justification that relate to the project
- Plan for sustainability after mini-grant funding expires
Deadline for applications is April 28, 2017.
Award recipients will be notified no later than May 17, 2017. The WeTeachCS Mini-Grants will be presented at the WeTeachCS Summit on June 5-7, 2017.